Friday, January 1, 2010

Let's pretend I've thought of a clever title for this post

Since I've been home, I have enjoyed the English things I brought with me. I shared my Cadbury's chocolate, which my Mom declared was wickedly good. I also brought a few small gifts from Borders, which was conveniently going bankrupt so I could get good deals. I bought Christmas gifts with the gift cards for Borders and Blackwells that I earned during term. I volunteered for experiments at a psychology lab that did cross-modal testing of the senses. So, I had to click shapes when I heard noises, give sound values to tastes, and other weird things. But I made about fifty pounds in gift cards.

Currently, it is 0 degrees C (or 37 degrees F) in England, and -30 degrees C (-22 degrees F) in my town. Do I miss England? Yes, though I must say the cold is easier to take when it is dry. At first, my sinuses did not like the transition, but I don't get chilled going outside. I guess I am a Minnesota girl. But when I dream at night I am still in England.

Today, I mourn the expiration of my Oxford Student ID card. Its power has diffused. I can no longer access those lovely databases or walk into exclusive buildings. I loved that card.

Since I've been back I've redone my wardrobe England style, buying skinny jeans, skirts, tights, and boots. I waited to buy new clothes until I came back--scary prices in Oxford. So, now I'll be out-of-style in Minnesota finally fulfilling my wish to be in-style in Oxford. It's only a month too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment