Monday, November 30, 2009

Last Week's Happenings Part 4

On the same day my home town had its annual Christmas parade, Oxfordians were crowding the streets more than usual for the Christmas Light Night. The whole of the city center was transformed as traffic was blocked off and stages were set up for musicians and dancers. Booths of sugar-sprinkled holiday delicacies, roasted chestnuts, hot drinks, and artisan crafts lined Broad Street.

At the heart of the night was the lantern procession featured in my pictures below. Those forming the procession were mostly high-school students carrying paper lanterns designed by local artists. Leading the way was the large replica of the Radcliffe Camera, the focal point of Oxford libraries. The best part was that museums were open late and brought in Christmas musicians along with purchasable hot drinks and goodies.

I took the opportunity to run through some places I haven't seen yet, like the Oxford Museum (featuring all things Oxford) and the Ashmolean Museum (featuring everything else). I hadn't visited the History of Science Museum yet because I thought it would be boring---I was way wrong. It was like walking into a page of Jules Verne. They currently have a Steampunk art exhibition going on---too cool to explain. Stick "steampunk" into Google images, and you'll see what I mean. (Not you, Mom, because I'm taking you there.) I had a great time all around.







2 comments:

  1. OK, I promise NOT to look at steampunk but you do have my curiosity arroused. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting outing. Did you eat some roasted chestnuts and think of me? I remember them well!

    ReplyDelete