Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Recent happenings

So, I'm back in Oxford once more. I'm writing two essays at the moment, and tomorrow my tutor is taking me out for coffee as our tutorial meeting. I've been learning to Lindy Hop at swing dancing classes every week. It's finally started to get rainy and chilly. Not cold compared with Minnesota of course. I went to a dinner at the Jewish Society this week which hosted a few Holocaust survivors. They were children at the time who made it to England on kinder transport, and they had some very moving stories. I've also been going to a Bible study at Mary Magdalene's every week. It's fun that a bunch of the people there have degrees in theology from Oxford. I keep up well enough thanks to NWC's core curriculum, but the conversation can lose me when it involves Catholic or Anglican doctrines I am unaware of. I'm trying to catch up, and I think I'm at the point when I want to ask the vicar a few specific questions. I'm also obsessively plotting how I'm going to play my flute in Mary Magdalene's at least once. I've been learning "Reflections on a Medieval Chant" by Katherine Hoover--and I firmly believe that piece and that building were made for each other (it is a Medieval church after all). It's my goal now to play it in the church, but I don't know how that will go over; physical representations have more significance here, and I'd hate to violate the sanctuary in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment