Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It still has not rained. I've been here for how many weeks now and it hasn't rained?? I'm puzzled. I was on kitchen duty this week. A bit of a nice week to have it because almost everyone is leaving for midterm break tomorrow night, then I leave Friday. So, I got out of 3 days. But, I'm actually sad to be off KD because Sam, the junior dean, was in my KD group. He'd wash dishes and sing impromptu washing-up songs while I scrubbed the counters and Betsey cleaned the sinks. Then afterward he'd get out his computer and play silly English songs like "Only Mad Dogs and Englishmen Go Out in the Midday Sun," which I highly recommend. It was a nice part of the evening--a chance to do something simple and satisfying after pounding out the paper all day. I'm exaggerating about the scholarly strain. I really like the paper I'm writing right now, and I'll finish tomorrow. This is a nice way of doing things---no tests or little projects, just papers. So much more is gained.

1 comment:

  1. Kitchen duty with interesting people is a cool thing (I have a similar memory from my past). Glad things are going well. Sorry we didn't get to chat more the other day--I'll watch for you on Skype (and you for me if you'd like).

    ReplyDelete