Friday, September 25, 2009

Pictures from Yesterday

This is the Palace of Richard II. Cool. I love Shakespeare's play Richard II because it has a gorgeous speech about England: "This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars... this blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England." The week I found out I was going to Oxford, I walked around thinking this speech in my head. Did I mention I'm studying Shakespeare here?
This is the H.M.S. Victory--Horatio Nelson! He was extremely fun to learn about. What a hero, what a career, what a death. No wonder people made rings out of his hair and stamped his image on tea cups. (I saw some of the rings and bracelets, and it was as creepy as it sounds.) He was a mega star.


This is me, obviously. I'm on top of Portchester Castle's keep. There's this tiny, winding stone staircase that is absolutely terrifying that gets you up here. I guess once watchmen got up, they didn't really make many trips back down.

This is the view of the Norman church. Those walls behind were built by the Romans.



No comments:

Post a Comment