Friday, September 25, 2009

My Own Reading Room

My new goal is to post something on this blog each day, minimum two sentences. And I'll try to keep the pictures coming.

Current events: I feel loved by the libraries here. I was getting worried because sometimes it's difficult to get copies of the books I need. It's really no problem because they're all at the Bodleian. And I do mean all--legally, every book published has to put a copy in the Bodleian. Oh, and you don't borrow from the Bodleian. That would be seriously illegal.

So, my real problem was that I have a hard time taking notes on my reading without my dictation software--with which I am writing to you now. I have had a problem with wrist inflammation over the past two years. It's manageable, as long as I don't type by hand. Thanks to modern miracles of technology, I talk to my computer instead. You can read books in the Bodleian only in reading rooms, where my dictating to my computer would be annoying to the other students.

Noticing this problem, I got in touch with the proper authorities. Turns out they could set me up with a private room. I now get my books delivered just down the hall from my own private study space. In fact, they are going to hook up my software onto a computer there, so I don't even have to lug my laptop. Perfect. I love Oxford University and its library staff. I am being extremely well accommodated. The room is actually the "Blind Students Reading Room," with a plaque in braille. I'll admit it's not much to look at, but it has become my Ithaca. My stress level because of it will be significantly lowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment