Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New Thoughts

My Internet has been working steadily, and so, as it happens, have I. I turned in my first paper on Monday. It's nice to get the first one out of the way-- now I feel like I'm really here. So, what's life been like? I have traded the sound of loons for the sound of pigeons in our neighbor's tree. I see our neighbor sometimes, but mostly I see his gardeners. Palm trees line the fence between his pristine lawn and ours (which is not pristine but very lovable). I'm finding my way around the city better now, though I still find myself wandering down streets I have never seen before. These stone-paved roads are addictive: each one curves or intersects with another. The color and texture changes within 10 feet-- rain-blue slates to potato-colored stones to course concrete. I love the toll of bells, a distant stain of sound. Every open door I pass sends out its own scents to the street, clothing, candies, electronics. Open markets carry fruit I've never seen in my life. What I really love is that I have an access card that gets me into the buildings visiters and tourists take pictures of. The architecture is gorgeous. So, I guess you could say I'm okay here.

No comments:

Post a Comment