Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Music Stand


From the moment I walked through the door, I was figuring out how to adapt. There was no way to anticipate what would or would not be supplied at my housing, or how things would simply be different. This picture is of one of my more clever adaptations; there was no music stand in the house, so I strung a ribbon over two hooks on my closet door and attached paper clips to it. All of my music is photocopied and light enough to hang easily. In general, I have been pleasantly surprised by my housing. Our shower stopped working after day one, and a day and half later Joyce, the administrator, saw that it was replaced it for us. They have also fed us, and they have served us tea at least 7 times so far--since tea is "what keeps us alive," in the words of Simon, the student affairs tutor. Another adaptation I had to make became pretty apparent after the first night. I'm used to sleeping on an inch of foam padding--a little spoiled I know. Thankfully, I had two blankets in my closet which I layered under the bottom sheet. Now I sleep on an inch of wool.

No comments:

Post a Comment