Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Getting Tickets

I stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in Stratford, but I wasn't there for breakfast until Monday when I finally got to sleep til seven. It is really fascinating walking around a city before sunrise. Streets that were kinetic in daylight now had no motion, not even wind to blow leaves around. It was a 40 minute walk to get to the Royal Shakespeare Company box office, and I was panicking the whole time imagining that there would already be a line of eager attendees before I'd get there. They reserve 10 student tickets to go on sale the morning of the show. So, after a long walk with chronic doubts about getting a ticket, this is the sight which met me:







Needless to say, I got my tickets to As you Like it and The Winter's Tale. I just had to wait for a few hours for the box office to open. But, I had the good fortune of having someone to wait with. A really lovely soon-to-be actress living in Stratford showed up a little while after I did, and we hit it off. I loved her enthusiasm as she told me about the actors and the previous shows she had been to. We didn't get to sit together at the play, but after The Winter's Tale we went to The Dirty Duck pub together, which is where the actors go. So, while we were sitting at our table, some of the players walked past us to order. The best part was having someone to respond to the play with. We had a great chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment