Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Odd

Watching Monty Python and going to church afterwards is....odd. Especially if you were watching Monty Python with a church group. By church I meant Compline. I don't know if there is an equivalent in U.S. protestant traditions. Vespers I suppose. It originated with St. Benedict, as many beautiful things did. It ends the working day with peace, silence, and the presence of God.

I've been spending time with people from Mary Magdalene's church, which is an Anglican-Catholic church. I had no idea they did that--blend the two traditions. So, it has elements of the high-Anglican church and elements of the Catholic church. I'm still working it out. I really like the priest though, and his wife wrote a book on Shakespeare, so I'm hoping to meet her.

The college group meets every week, and this week was the Monty Python movie kick-off meeting. It was quite silly, but Compline was simply beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment