Thursday, October 29, 2009

Library Moment

So this was a while ago but it is worth recording: I had a great moment at the English Faculty Library.
I asked the librarian,
"Do you have any Shakespeare movies?"
To which she replied,
"Yes, we have them all."
While I was thinking They have them All?? she directed me to a file cabinet with two drawers marked "Shakespeare Films."

For me, it was like being directed to a chocolate buffet. There, nestled in the drawers, was every Shakespeare play in at least three versions (with about seven versions of Hamlet). The Royal Shakespeare Company, BBC, Laurence Olivier, Kenneth Branagh, Orson Welles---everything was there, even silent film versions. The only ones missing were foreign film adaptations, which was a little disappointing. None the less, I pillage those drawers at least twice a week. Hey, it's homework, right? I'm taking Shakespeare, so it counts. Actually, I decided to do my term-long essay on the topic of Shakespeare in film. Yes, I know--so tedious, right? I have to watch Shakespeare movies oh poor me. I just laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment