Friday, October 9, 2009

So, how was Stratford? I had a great time. The plays were, as you might expect, fantastic. I loved it---partly because I sneaked into the front row. Here's my confession: there were open seats, and I took them. From one perspective, swapping seats is kind of rude, but from another perspective the act is in keeping with the spirit of some of Shakespeare's greatest characters: the ones who usurped a better position through cunning and determination (the Iagos, the Richard IIIs). Putting it that way makes me sound classier.

Also in Stratford I visited the houses where Shakespeare was born and died. The nice people at my B&B had passes so I got in free. The most interesting part about Shakespeare's house was looking at the list of people who have visited it over the years: poets, presidents, actors. I wrapped up my time in Stratford by taking a boat ride on the Avon.

My little London trip was crazy. That was Sunday, when I woke up at 5:30 again to catch an early bus after walking through the ghostly empty middle of the city. Three and half hours to London and three and half back to Stratford in one day. That's a long time on public transit, but I am happy to say it was worth every minute. Love's Labors Lost at the Globe was the highlight of my weekend.

I had a yard ticket, which means you stand for the whole play. I was early enough to be right next to the stage---I was able to rest my chin on the stage actually. Best place to watch from---the female actors walk past and almost hit you with their dresses. The lead guy sat in front of me at one point so close I could feel his voice booming from his ribs. I also got a piece of cheese and a grape. I love audience interaction. During intermission, the actress playing the princess came over to my side of the stage with a plate of goodies and got people to try to catch grapes. Because the audience is in a big crowd around the stage (a lot of them standing) it's a very active play. There's a lot of energy, and a lot of moments where you feel like you are participating. I'd love to see more shows there, but the Globe closes tomorrow for the season, just like it did when Shakespeare was around.

No comments:

Post a Comment